Thursday, June 01, 2006

Book Club Reminder and Other Fun

Hey, look at this, it's June. Do you know what that means? It means that Book Club is meeting this Saturday. Tell your friends, tell your enemies, and if you've read The Last Night of the Yankee Dynasty, or hell, even if you haven't, but want to talk with the group and maybe come up with some future stuff to read, show up at Elliott Bay at 5pm or a little before, and come along to see the Mariners play the Royals, one of the few teams we have a decent shot of beating.

Something happened today, something very, very momentous. Something that hadn't happened in a long, long time. Do you know what I'm talking about, my friends?

No, I'm not talking about the Mariners finally winning a freaking game already. Yes, yes, it had been a week since they'd last done that, and I am happy for them, yes indeed.

No, I'm not even talking about Roger Clemens signing a contract, making him a major leaguer again for the first time since the 2005 World Series ended seven months ago. I do realize that his family could not quite match the Astros' offer, but he may get to pitch in a game with his son next week, which is kind of cool.

No, I'm not even talking about the fact that Chase Utley is trailing Craig Biggio by only 17k votes in the All-Star balloting for National League second basemen. I mean, the last time a Phillies second baseman was in the All-Star game was 1995, and it should be noted that Mickey "Eeny Meeny" Morandini ALSO lost to Craig Biggio in the balloting.

No, this is something that's more wonderful, something that hasn't happened since July 27, 2004.

Take a look at this box score! Do you see what I see? Those words that make you take a second look at the page, like, "Did that really happen? It can't be."

The words that say "J. Kendall homered to deep left".

Jason Kendall hit a home run today! Jason Kendall hit a home run today! Oh my god, the sky is falling!

No comments: